Monday, July 3, 2017

Knowledge of God: Attributes of God, Part 8-Omniscience



(the picture in the video is from Tim Challies)


B. Omniscience (mental)

                        1. Definition
                                    a. all-knowing
b. God fully knows himself, and all things actual and possible in one simple, eternal act. (Wayne Grudem, Systematic Theology, pg. 190)
                        2. Scriptural Data
a. Psalm 139:1-6, 16: ​ O Lord, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it…Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.
b. God knows everything going on
i. Job 28:24: For he looks to the ends of the earth and sees everything under the heavens.
ii. Job 31:4: Does not he see my ways and number all my steps?
iii. Job 34:21-22: “For his eyes are on the ways of a man, and he sees all his steps. There is no gloom or deep darkness where evildoers may hide themselves.
iv. Proverbs 15:3: The eyes of the Lord are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good.
v. Matthew 10:29-30: Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered.
                                    c. God knows the secret thoughts of every individual
i. 1 Chronicles 28:9: And you, Solomon my son, know the God of your father and serve him with a whole heart and with a willing mind, for the Lord searches all hearts and understands every plan and thought. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will cast you off forever.
ii. Jeremiah 17:9-10: The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it? “I the Lord search the heart and test the mind, to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his deeds.”
iii. Ezekiel 11:5: And the Spirit of the Lord fell upon me, and he said to me, “Say, Thus says the Lord: So you think, O house of Israel. For I know the things that come into your mind.
iv. Hebrews 4:13: And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.
                                    d. God knows the future
i. Isaiah 41:21-24: Set forth your case, says the Lord; bring your proofs, says the King of Jacob. Let them bring them, and tell us what is to happen. Tell us the former things, what they are, that we may consider them, that we may know their outcome; or declare to us the things to come. Tell us what is to come hereafter, that we may know that you are gods; do good, or do harm, that we may be dismayed and terrified. Behold, you are nothing, and your work is less than nothing; an abomination is he who chooses you.
ii. Isaiah 46:9-10: remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,’
iii. John 13:38: Jesus answered, “Will you lay down your life for me? Truly, truly, I say to you, the rooster will not crow till you have denied me three times.”
                                    e. God cannot learn anything
i. Job 21:22: Will any teach God knowledge, seeing that he judges those who are on high?
ii. Job 37:16: Do you know the balancings of the clouds, the wondrous works of him who is perfect in knowledge,
iii. Psalm 147:5: Great is our Lord, and abundant in power; his understanding is beyond measure.
                                    f. God knows what would happen under different circumstances
i. 1 Samuel 23:1-13:
Now they told David, “Behold, the Philistines are fighting against Keilah and are robbing the threshing floors.”  Therefore David inquired of the Lord, “Shall I go and attack these Philistines?” And the Lord said to David, “Go and attack the Philistines and save Keilah.”  But David's men said to him, “Behold, we are afraid here in Judah; how much more then if we go to Keilah against the armies of the Philistines?”  Then David inquired of the Lord again. And the Lord answered him, “Arise, go down to Keilah, for I will give the Philistines into your hand.”  And David and his men went to Keilah and fought with the Philistines and brought away their livestock and struck them with a great blow. So David saved the inhabitants of Keilah. When Abiathar the son of Ahimelech had fled to David to Keilah, he had come down with an ephod in his hand.  Now it was told Saul that David had come to Keilah. And Saul said, “God has given him into my hand, for he has shut himself in by entering a town that has gates and bars.”  And Saul summoned all the people to war, to go down to Keilah, to besiege David and his men.  David knew that Saul was plotting harm against him. And he said to Abiathar the priest, “Bring the ephod here.”  Then David said, “O Lord, the God of Israel, your servant has surely heard that Saul seeks to come to Keilah, to destroy the city on my account.  Will the men of Keilah surrender me into his hand? Will Saul come down, as your servant has heard? O Lord, the God of Israel, please tell your servant.” And the Lord said, “He will come down.”  Then David said, “Will the men of Keilah surrender me and my men into the hand of Saul?” And the Lord said, “They will surrender you.”  Then David and his men, who were about six hundred, arose and departed from Keilah, and they went wherever they could go. When Saul was told that David had escaped from Keilah, he gave up the expedition.
ii. Matthew 11:21, 23: “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes…And you, Capernaum, will you be exalted to heaven? You will be brought down to Hades. For if the mighty works done in you had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.
                        3. Consideration and Reflection
a. For any true statement, God knows that statement and he doesn’t believe any false statements.
b. God has self-knowledge
            i. “I am God”
ii. this implies that all 3 persons of the Godhead have self-knowledge
            - “I am the Father”
            - “I am the Son”
            - “I am the Holy Spirit”
            iii. omniscient computer has no self-knowledge
            iv. this is a perfection of the personhood of God
v. this is part of God’s image in man; we have self-knowledge as well
                                    c. God’s omniscience is innate
i. as opposed to an omniscient human being who learned all knowledge
d. Prior to creation God knows all things in a logical, not chronological order (Floyd H. Barackman, Practical Christian Theology, pg. 53)
i. Necessary Knowledge: Knowledge determined by His divine nature, causing Him to know all possible things
ii. Decree: His plan, embracing all actual things that He chose from all possible things
iii. Free Knowledge: His foreknowledge of all actual things
iv. Reality: The actual things He brings to pass or allows to come to pass as He has decreed
                                    e. The issue of foreknowledge, 4 views
                                                i. Simple foreknowledge: God foreknows in virtue of His foresight
-typically the view of Arminians and other libertarian freewill theists
-Problem: doesn’t seem to fit with the Biblical data
-Isaiah 46:9-11: remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,’ calling a bird of prey from the east, the man of my counsel from a far country. I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass; I have purposed, and I will do it.
-Ephesians 1:11: In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will
-God predestines things according to His will
ii. Reformed divine omnicausality: God foreknows in virtue of His providential planning of the world
            -typically the view of Reformed theology adherents
            -Problem: appears to make God the cause of evil and sin
-Reformed theologians make pleas to primary and secondary causality and agency
-God, as the primary cause, enables man, the secondary cause, to act in a “reasonably self-determined” way
-Ultimately appeal to mystery for how God causes but is not responsible for evil and sin that man commits
iii. Molinism’s middle knowledge: God knows what free creatures would do in every possible set of circumstances
            -minority view; held by analytical philosophers mainly
-Problem: middle knowledge depends on external abstract objects that, in turn, make them a causal necessity that God depends on to create the world.
iv. Open theism: God has granted to humanity free will and that in order for the free will to be truly free, the future free will choices of individuals cannot be known ahead of time by God
                -this is heresy as it denies the full omniscience of God
-claims that future free decisions are not real and thus not knowable
-God’s omniscience becomes His knowledge of everything up to the present moment
-God basically becomes a good guesser and contingent planner for everything man might possibly do, but doesn’t actually know fully
                -anthropomorphisms/pathisms are literal
-Acts 2:23: this Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men.
                                    f. Foreknowledge and human freedom
                                                i. If God infallibly knows what I will do, how can I be free?
ii. Simple foreknowledge says that God just knows the future, so our choices are unconstrained by His knowing.
iii. Reformed theologians posit that God causes all things, with humans as secondary agents to God. This view insists that God causes all things and humans are free in a compatibilist way that is a mystery.
iv. Molinism says that whatever you do, God knew that beforehand. God knew the fact that you would be here tonight, but if you didn’t come, He knew that fact instead.
                        4. Practical Application
                                    a. Total trust in God’s guidance in your life
i. Proverbs 3:5-6: Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
                                    b. Comfort in God’s knowledge of your heart
i. 1 Samuel 16:7: But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”
ii. John 21:17: He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep.”
                                    c. Source of security in God’s love
i. There is no new information that God might acquire about you that would affect his love for you.
ii. 1 John 3:19-20: By this we shall know that we are of the truth and reassure our heart before him; for whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and he knows everything.
iii. Psalm 32:3-7: For when I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer. I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,” and you forgave the iniquity of my sin. Therefore let everyone who is godly offer prayer to you at a time when you may be found; surely in the rush of great waters, they shall not reach him. You are a hiding place for me; you preserve me from trouble; you surround me with shouts of deliverance.

No comments:

Post a Comment